Meet Atoms, the minimalist startup shoes you’ll actually weartechnicalstudio | June 13, 2018 | 0 | Startups
Step aside, Allbirds. Atoms come in quarter-sizes you can mix-and-match. Emerging from stealth today in a TechCrunch exclusive, this shoe startup’s obsession with satisfaction allowed it to replace my Nikes. I’ve spent the last two months wearing Atoms every day. They’re the first sneaker classy-looking enough for semi-formal occasions, but that I can comfortably walk or even hike in for hours.
Here’s how Atoms is modernizing the footwear experience:
- Pick your quarter-size, say 10.25, and Atoms sends you 10s, 10.25s, and 10.5s, plus socks
- Try them on and pick any two, even different sizes for different feet, and send the rest back free
- No logos. Atoms come in jet black, pure white or black top/white bottom, but don’t stick an ad on your feet
- Copper threads inside eat bacteria, preventing funky smells
- Elastic laces with subtle oval eyelets let Atoms slip on but stay tight so you rarely have to tie them
- Get a discount on your next pair if you send in your old Atoms for analysis and donation
At $179, Atoms are pricier than $100 lifestyle Nikes or $79 Allbirds. But the basketball shoe giant just sells in half sizes, while Allbirds offers only whole sizes that fit few perfectly. The right quarter-size Atoms for each foot makes them feel molded to your body.
“To make shoes better, you need to know why people wear shoes,” Atoms co-founder Waqas Ali tells me. People buy fancy dress shoes they never wear, yet feel embarrassed by the childish designs and branding on most sneakers.“We perfected Atoms for your everyday routine — walking, standing and commuting,” he explains. “You are a person not a billboard, so there’s no logo.”
That hasn’t stopped the shoes from going viral during their beta-testing phase. Everyone who tries them on seems to rave about them.
Read more fromTechCrunch